London Luton Airport has been approved for a revised extension following a public inquiry.
The airport had been seeking the variation of five conditions attached to a previous planning permission dated 13 October 2017.
Following an inquiry between September and November 2022, the government has decided to permit the following application, subject to conditions:
- the dualling of Airport Way/Airport Approach Road and associated junction improvements;
- extensions to terminal buildings, and a new departures/arrivals pier and walkway;
- a pedestrian link building from the short stay car park to the terminal, and extensions to the mid-term and long-term car parks;
- construction of a new taxiway and extensions to the existing taxiway;
- extensions to existing aircraft parking aprons.
Other works include improvements to ancillary infrastructure including access and drainage, and demolition of existing structures and enabling works.
There is also outline planning for the construction of a multi-storey car park and pedestrian link building.
Luton Rising, the Luton Council company that owns the airport for community benefit, had wanted to increase passenger capacity from 18 million per annum to up to 32 million.
It is understood the scheme could cost in the region of £2.4 billion.
VolkerFitzpatrick and Kier (VFK) oversaw the launch of the Luton DART (Direct Air-Rail Transit), a project delivered over four years.
“The secretaries of state [for levelling up, housing and communities/transport] agree with the panel’s conclusions and agrees with its recommendation. They have decided to grant planning permission for the proposal,” the decision notice reads.
Adding: “The secretaries of state are satisfied that the [Environmental Statement] complies with the [Environmental Investigation Agency] Regulations and that sufficient information has been provided for them to assess the environmental impact of the proposal.”
Enjoyed this? Try Bilfinger UK posts turnover of £400m
Get industry news in 5 minutes!
A daily email that makes industry news enjoyable. It’s completely free.